Kobe Bean Bryant, often known as just “Kobe”, is an American former professional basketball player from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
He played his entire 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers of the NBA. He entered the NBA directly from high school and won five NBA championships for the Lakers, with a three-peat championship roll back to back in 2000, 2001 and 2002.
He is widely regarded as one of the greatest basketball players of all time and is the first guard in NBA history to play at least 20 seasons. He scored 60 points in his final game against the Utah Jazz. He retired two jerseys with the Lakers, number 8 and number 24.
Kobe was known as “The Black Mamba” a nickname he gave himself to separate his professional life from his personal life which became a cultural phenomenon known as the Mamba Mentality to describe the level of intense focus and relentless approach Kobe took both in preparation and competition.
Kobe past away at the age of 41 in a helicopter crash along with his daughter Gianna and 7 others on January 26, 2020.
Kobe Bryant Black Moments:
- 5 NBA champion (2000–2002, 2009, 2010)
- 2 NBA Finals MVP (2009, 2010)
- NBA Most Valuable Player (2008)
- 18 NBA All-Star (1998, 2000–2016)
- 4 NBA All-Star Game MVP (2002, 2007, 2009, 2011)
- 11 All-NBA First Team (2002–2004, 2006–2013)
- 2 All-NBA Second Team (2000, 2001)
- 2 All-NBA Third Team (1999, 2005)
- 9 NBA All-Defensive First Team (2000, 2003, 2004, 2006–2011)
- 3 NBA All-Defensive Second Team (2001, 2002, 2012)
- 2 NBA scoring champion (2006, 2007)
- NBA Slam Dunk Contest champion (1997)
- NBA All-Rookie Second Team (1997)
- Number 8 & 24 retired by Los Angeles Lakers
- Naismith Prep Player of the Year (1996)
RELATED BLACK MOMENT: Shaquille O’Neal